Friday, December 28, 2012

Big Announcement! and My Awesome Husband!

So, I finally feel like it is ok to make my big announcement! 

I'm pregnant!!!  Ok, ok, everybody knows that already.

So, as you all know, I have been going to school to get my master's and become a family nurse practitioner.  I graduated earlier in December and will take my boards January 18th.  I fully expected to not find a job going to interviews as a big pregnant woman, so I really wasn't looking for any seriously.  However, my charge nurse (thanks Brad) recommended me to a physician who then asked me to apply for a job.  I figured it was a long shot but went ahead and sent in my resume.  After 3 interviews I was offered a job (and I even told them that I was pregnant)!!! I wanted to make sure everything was good with the contract and such before announcing the job, so that is why I have waited so long to announce (I would like to say that I am a hardball negotiator, but really they have given me every small request).  So, y'all are reading the blog of the next first Neuro-FNP in my area!  I can't wait to start my new job!  Today I went to get what I call my "big people" lab coats.  I still can't believe I am actually going to be a nurse practitioner.


In other news, I recently realized that I pretty much have the best husband in the whole world (despite him blasting the heat on my sweating pregnant self).  I realized this today while riding in the car listening to the song "Girl on Fire" by Alicia Keys.  For a moment, the song had me fooled into thinking it was all about me.  I mean, I worked full-time (nights, ICU, 7-on-7-off) for my first 3 semesters of FNP school, am currently making a baby inside of me (which is pretty hard work if you ask me), got a job as an FNP before even passing my boards, all while having a major lifestyle change due to being diagnosed with Celiac.  I'm the bomb!  Right?  Then all of a sudden it hit me (boom).  I could not have done ANY of this without my husband! 

First, I had this crazy idea to go back to FNP school.  I had never expressed any interest in being a nurse practitioner.  In fact, when I first went to nursing school, I always said that I would NEVER GO BACK TO SCHOOL!!!  Then, shift-work started.  Working 12 hours (especially nights) is really hard on a person, their body, their social life, and a marriage.  When you come home from 12 hours of work, you are completely exhausted and it takes every effort to clean off the ICU stink before getting in the bed (much less do dishes, laundry, or cook).  My poor husband had 7 days of doing everything himself (while he was busy in med-school).  We also hardly got to see each other during those 7 days (he probably misses those days).  I also was beginning to realize that nurses are almost at the bottom of the totem pole.  When patients get better, most of them don't think to thank the nurse that gave all their meds, notified the doctor of any change in status, or cleaned their butt (a lot).  Praise from the doctor for catching any change in status is even more rare.  Although the few thanks and praises mean SO MUCH when given, the more common patient complaints and doctor yelling and patient deaths were starting to wear on me (I tend to get a little too attached to my patients, even though I try to hide it even from myself).  So, over-night I decided to go back to school.  I was nervous to approach the subject with Michael.  He was so busy with med school, and I didn't want to stress him out by adding something else to our plate.  However, as soon I as I told him he lit up ("You should do it!!")!  So, Michael helped me sign up for the GRE, update my resume, and send in an application that day.  Since then, he has been so supportive of me and my school (he has even helped me write some papers and study for tests)!

Second, I was diagnosed with Celiac disease.  Michael was my rock.  I could have been watching him eat his burgers on his nice soft buns while I was stuck with some nasty gluten-free bread that I pretended were buns.  But, no, Michael has insisted to have a gluten-free house from the moment of my diagnosis.  He even helped me to throw out or give away all of our gluten-laden food.  He never ever complains about food he is missing out on!  Instead, he complains about the waiters at restaurants not understanding my disease when they bring us bread to the table and refuses to eat it in front of me.  He even listens to me whine about wanting a Krystal burger and doesn't chastise me for not thinking about all of the people that have it so much worse than me.  I know putting up with me during this change has not been easy, but he has been amazing!

Third, he has put up with this hormone crazed pregnant lady!!  I don't know how he does it!  I know my temper has been short and I have been moody on most days.  I always try to put on this happy, loves-to-be-pregnant, never-feels-sick pregnant exterior to my friends and family.  For the most part, that is true.  This pregnancy has been SO easy compared to so many I have heard about.  But, anytime I don't feel good or do feel moody, my husband catches the brunt of it.  He listens to every ache and complaint.  He goes to Wal-mart in the middle of the night to get my Milk of Magnesia.  He wakes up at the crack of dawn to my crying and insists on taking me to the doctor.  He doesn't complain when he finds out he woke up at the crack of the dawn and drove me to the doctor only to find out I had round ligament pain.  He takes me to Waffle House after waking up at the crack of dawn to make ME feel better.  If he can put up with me during all of this (while doing awesome in med-school), there is no doubt in my mind that he will be the BEST Father ever!  I can't wait to see him with little Grayson!

1 comment:

  1. My favorite blog !!! Well just after the I'm pregnant one !! I think you are awesome, you have an incredible way of keeping everything together including yourself. You will be the top Neuro NP in the world. Hugs Allie

    ReplyDelete