Sunday, September 23, 2012

Recipe: Rice Pudding

So, I made a recipe out of my new gluten-free cookbook (The Everything Gluten-Free Cookbook by Rick Marx and Nancy T. Maar).  I have been craving bread pudding lately, but I wanted something quick that didn't require baking my own bread (I will cross this bridge one day).  So, I saw this recipe for rice pudding and though it might be a close alternative ( I had never had rice pudding before).  It turned out so yummy and reminds me of Christmas time!

Rice Pudding with Apricots

Ingredients
  • 1 cup dried apricots cut into quarters (I might cut them a little smaller next time)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup suger
  • 1 cup rice (it says that basmati is preferred, but I just used some regular long grained white rice that I already had)
  • 2 and 1/2 cups milk (I actually ended up adding another 1/2 cup of milk, will explain later)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • toasted almonds for garnish (I skipped this)
Directions (with only a few suggestions/alterations)
  1. In a large pot, mix rice and milk.  Bring to a bowl and then turn down heat to simmer (turn heat down to low) and cook for about 60 minutes, stirring occasionally (I had my heat up too high, so my milk cooked out too fast, I had to add another half cup of milk. I still only got about 45 minutes of cook time, but it turned out just fine). 
  2. Bring the apricots, water, and 1/2 cup of sugar to a bowl and then turn down heat (to medium-low).  Simmer until apricots are plump and the sauce syrupy (about 30 minutes).
  3. Whip the heavy cream into stiff peaks (I have found that using a metal bowl and putting it and mixers into the freezer to get cold and then beating with an electric mixer works best). Place in the refrigerated until needed.
  4. After rice is finished, add the vanilla, nutmeg, and 1/2 cup of sugar. Cool slightly. Fold the whipped cream into the pudding.  Fold the apricots into the pudding.  (Top with toasted almonds if desired).
It might not look too pretty, but blame that on my poor photography skills. For my first time cooking and eating rice pudding, I was impressed!  So far, loving my new cookbooks!

No comments:

Post a Comment