Sunday, November 25, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!!

I hope everybody had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!  I had the best!

Since being a nurse, I have had to work almost every single holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Halloween, Valentine's Day, my birthday, etc., etc.) every year (people should really learn to not get sick on holidays).  I got married right after becoming a nurse, so I have not got to spend many holidays with my husband and our families.  This year, however, I am on education leave and they wouldn't have been able to force me to work if they tried!  I was SO excited to get a work-free holiday!

Wednesday, Michael and I prepared for Thanksgiving my cooking two HUGE pans of gluten-free dressing (we didn't want anybody to carry the burden of trying to make a primarily-bread dish into gluten free goodness), GF sweet potato casserole, GF corn casserole, GF chocolate bundt cake (which I wasn't very impressed with, GF chocolate peanut-butter balls, and GF pumpkin spice cake.  I mean, since this was my first Thanksgiving without working, I was going to bring plenty of food to my family!  I know I said I would post the recipes before Thanksgiving, but I have been SO busy writing papers!  I will try to post them before Christmas though.

We started Thanksgiving off by waking up bright and early and packing us and the dogs for our 2 hour trip to my in-laws.  The dogs did fantastic the whole way.  Zoey (my sweet yorkie girl that gets car sick) only threw up one time (as we were pulling into the neighborhood).  We had so much fun spending the morning and afternoon with Michael's family and ate way too much good food!  Michael's mom had made tons of veges and turkey that she made sure were GF.  They are always so sweet to make sure everything is safe for me!

Later in the afternoon we packed everything back up and went to my parents to spend the evening with my family.  I think the long car trip and the too-full belly made this pregnant lady a little sleepy and possibly grumpy.  It was so good to see all of my family though!  One of my nieces is just old enough to kind of understand that there is a baby in my belly, and she cracks me up because she is constantly trying to see the baby by looking up my dress (today I was smart and wore jeans).

Friday was the big adventure for this pregnant lady!  We decided to go get some Black Friday deals for our little baby boy.  Even though Babys R Us didn't have the best ads, I was convinced they would have some great deals.  We got up bright and early and got to the store a little after 5am.  I should have known by the relatively easy parking and fairly empty store that the ads were pretty accurate...  We did manage to wrack up on my clothes though!  Next we braved the crowds at Target, Belk, and Old Navy.  Finally, because we were a little bummed by our lack of success at Babys R Us, we decided to go to some furniture stores.  Michael's goal for the past few weeks has been to buy some furniture for the nursery (he has been pretty obsessed).  So, we went to Miskelly's and saw just how expensive furniture is, and then we decided to shop around at other stores.  After hours of looking, we decided to look one more time at Miskelly's (this is the biggest furniture store that I know of in Mississippi).  I think we were so exhausted from all of our shopping that we just Had to buy something!  So, we finally decided on a chest of drawers and a super nice glider.  We even managed to get $125 off the price from our bitch sales lady (I really tried to think of a nicer word to call her, but that was the nicest I could come up with).  This lady was just too busy to even want to bother with us.  We kind of tried to ask others for help, but once a sales person hands you their card then they have staked their claim on you. 

My mom had bought us a really nice rug we picked out at one of the other furniture stores, and Michael's mom ordered our crib and changing table that we picked out.  So, we are Finished buying furniture for our nursery!!  I am SO ecstatic!!  Everything is either being shipped or needs to be picked up at the store once in stock.  It should all be here by early-mid December.  I have tons of plans for decorating the nursery and can't wait to post my DIY plans!

What am I thankful for this Thanksgiving?!
  • Spending the holiday with the family!!
  • Getting the nursery prepared!
  • Having 2 successful gluten-free Thanksgiving meals!
  • My wonderful husband that will help me roll all of my peanut butter balls (even though he warned me that it would be too much to cook) without saying "I told you so."
  • This sweet baby boy that I love so freaking much!!!!
Oh, and did I mention that we have finally named our boy??!!!  I would tell you, but I have to get the OK from Michael first.  He is always complaining about me wanting to tell everybody everything so fast.  I mean, it has been almost 2 whole days now!!  When can I tell??!!

What are YOU thankful for this Thanksgiving??

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see your plans for your nursery. It's been great reading your blog. I made GF Cornbread dressing last year (for a friend - I'm fortunate to not have difficulty with it). It was delicious. I am pretty sure it is the best dressing I have ever made.

    I also look forward to hearing you little guy's name. My husband and I have the same issue. I get excited and want to tell everyone everything right away. It's killing me not to ask the Godparents of number two, but at only four months we are waiting til about six months (I hope I can wait that long).

    ReplyDelete