Sunday, April 7, 2013

1 Year Gluten Free

So, this March was my 1 year gluten free anniversary. It is hard to believe that I haven't eaten anything with gluten in a whole year (minus a few accidents and possible cross-contaminations)!

The good news for anybody starting out on this journey: it gets easier! I have sort of developed a routine when it comes to grocery shopping and eating out. I have my basics that I get every time (meats, salads, gluten free pasta, vegetables, frozen gluten free meals). We also have our places that we know are safe places to eat (chick-fil-a, five guys, Tabella's, McAllister's). I have also pretty much stopped craving breads. It was difficult for a while in my pregnancy, but I no longer wake up wanting Krystal burgers.

The best news: I feel better! I cannot remember the last time I complained about my stomach! No more crying in the bathroom in pain. I think I have more energy, but I happen to have a 1 month old who steals it.

The hardest part, for me, is still the lack of convenience and variety. I do get tired of eating the same things all the time, but it is so inconvenient to break out Google and look up new foods or places to eat. I think this will only get better with time. Since I have been diagnosed, I have seen my grocery store's GF selection grow tremendously! I am slowly finding more and more new things to try. I think more restaurants will catch up with the GF trend in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment